What’s New for 2012
The 2012 Hyundai Veracruz will be fully redesigned.
2012 Veracruz Introduction
Hyundai’s rise as a serious and determined automaker follows a formula that’s simple to grasp: Deliver quality, feature-rich cars and SUVs to a broad spectrum of buyers for less than the competition. From the sporty turbocharged Genesis coupe to the executive luxury Equus, Hyundai has something for most needs and interests. For shoppers seeking a large family SUV, there’s the seven-passenger 2012 Hyundai Veracruz.
The Veracruz is one of the few Hyundai models untouched by the automaker’s recent redesign frenzy, and its relative lack of attention hints at a full-scale overhaul in the near future. For now, the Veracruz continues trading on the strengths that make it a contender in its class. Its 260-horsepower, 3.8-liter V6 provides ample midrange power, and the ride is composed and transparent in most conditions. And while the Veracruz looks unremarkable when you approach it, sliding into the cabin reveals an interior befitting many entry-level luxury models that sticker for thousands more.
The Veracruz may push the value envelope, but it’s not hard to end up parting with considerable money. Opt for an all-wheel-drive Limited model with a handful of options (Bluetooth, for example, is only available through an accessory package) and you can easily breach $37,000. It’ll be hard to complain about what you’re getting, though, especially when you factor in Hyundai’s class-leading warranties.
2012 Veracruz Body Styles, Trim Levels, and Options
The 2012 Hyundai Veracruz is a seven-passenger crossover SUV available in GLS and Limited trim levels. The GLS comes standard with 17-inch alloy wheels, heated side mirrors, foglights, automatic headlights, rear parking sensors, cruise control, an eight-way power driver seat, heated front seats (on all-wheel-drive models only), a tilt-and-telescoping steering column, rear seat climate controls and vents, and a six-speaker sound system with a CD player, satellite radio, an auxiliary audio jack and an iPod/USB interface. The Premium package adds a sunroof, auto-dimming mirrors, a windshield de-icer, a power liftgate and heated front seats (for the front-wheel-drive model).
The Veracruz Limited includes the content of the Premium package and adds 18-inch wheels, driver memory functions, dual-zone automatic climate control, leather upholstery, a power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, a four-way power passenger seat, heated second-row seats, a 115-volt household-style power outlet and an eight-speaker Infinity sound system with a six-CD changer.
For the Limited, an Alpine navigation system is optional and includes a rearview camera, Bluetooth and a 10-speaker Infinity surround-sound audio system with Pandora audio streaming and HD radio. Bluetooth is a stand-alone option on both Veracruz trims.
2012 Veracruz Powertrains and Performance
The 2012 Hyundai Veracruz is available in either front- or all-wheel drive, and is powered by a 3.8-liter V6 that makes 260 hp and 257 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed automatic is the standard transmission.
In Edmunds performance testing, an all-wheel-drive Veracruz accelerated from zero to 60 mph in 8.3 seconds, about average for this class. EPA fuel economy estimates are 17 mpg city/22 mpg highway and 19 mpg combined for the front-drive model and 16/21/19 for the all-wheel-drive model.
2012 Veracruz Safety
Each Veracruz trim level comes standard with antilock disc brakes, stability and traction control, front-seat side airbags, side curtain airbags and active front head restraints.
In crash testing performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the Veracruz earned the agency’s top rating of "Good" in frontal-offset and side impact collisions.
2012 Veracruz Interior Design & Special Features
Although the 2012 Hyundai Veracruz looks a little plain outside, its handsome interior and solid materials quality disguise a crossover built as a class value leader. The cabin features wood and faux-aluminum trim and accents, with controls laid out in clean, minimalist fashion. Take away the badges and most passengers would probably think they’re riding in an Acura or Volvo.
Comfort and space are high points, although the third row offers less room than the Acadia, Flex, Honda Pilot and CX-9. With both rows of rear seats folded down, the Veracruz can carry up to 87 cubic feet of cargo. That’s less than the Acadia and CX-9, and although basically equal to the Flex and Pilot, their boxy shape makes them better suited to carrying bulky items.
2012 Veracruz Driving Impressions
The 2012 Hyundai Veracruz is a buttoned-down boulevard and highway cruiser. Supple and quiet on well-paved roads, the Veracruz does lose more composure than its rivals over neglected, weather-beaten blacktop. Around corners, the Veracruz handles predictably, despite the quick steering being noticeably inert. The V6′s power is enough for most daily situations, but the six-speed auto — while a smooth, quiet shifter — sometimes hesitates to drop a gear for passing or while climbing grades. The Veracruz drives well enough, but ultimately leaves no real lasting impression.
2012 Hyundai Veracruz standard Equipment Includes:
- Athens Blue
- Black Noir Pearl
- Boulder Gray
- Marine Blue
- Sahara Bronze
- Shimmering Silver
- Stone White
- Beige, premium cloth
- Gray, premium cloth
- Width: 76.6 in.
- Height: 71.1 in.
- Length: 190.6 in.
- Ground clearance: 8.1 in.
- Front track: 65.7 in.
- Rear track: 65.7 in.
- Wheel base: 110.4 in.
- Cargo capacity, all seats in place: 13.4 cu.ft.
- Maximum cargo capacity: 86.8 cu.ft.
Roof and Glass
- Variable intermittent wipers
- Privacy glass
- Rear defogger
- Intermittent rear wiper
- Roof rack
- Rear spoiler
- Roof Rack Cross Rails
- Tow Hitch
- Mud Guards
- Wheel Locks
Tires and Wheels
- Alloy wheels
- 17 x 7.0 in. wheels
- Steel spare wheel
- P245/65R17 tires
- All season tires
- Underbody mounted spare tire
- Temporary spare tire
- Fixed lifgate window
- Rear liftgate door
- Maximum towing capacity: 3500 lbs.**
- Maximum payload: 1466 lbs.**
- Gross weight: 5732 lbs.
- Drag Coefficient: 0.35 Cd
- Curb weight: 4266 lbs.
Towing and Hauling
- Trailer wiring
- Curb weight: 3459 lbs.
[**] When adequately equipped, which may require engine and/or other drivetrain upgrades.
[**]Standard seating shown. Other seating may be available as optional equipment.
- Front head room: 40.3 in.
- Front hip room: 57.5 in.
- Front leg room: 42.6 in.
- Front shoulder room: 60.6 in.
- 8 -way power driver seat
- Driver seat with power adjustable lumbar support
- Height adjustable driver seat
- Premium cloth
- Bucket front seats
- Rear hip Room: 57.4 in.
- Rear head room: 39.9 in.
- Rear leg room: 38.4 in.
- Rear shoulder room: 60.2 in.
- Split-folding rear seatback
- Folding with storage center armrest
- Manual folding split-bench third row seats
- Rear ventilation ducts with fan control
- Remote power door locks
- Power mirrors
- Heated mirrors
- 1 one-touch power windows
- Bluetooth Hands-Free Phone System
- First aid kit
- Composite Cargo Tray
- Option Group 01
- iPod Cable
- Carpeted Floor Mats
- Trip computer
- External temperature display
- Low fuel level warning
- Cruise control
- Front console with storage
- Front, rear and 3rd row cupholders
- Front and rear door pockets
- Overhead console with storage
- Front seatback storage
- Speed-proportional power steering
- 12V front, 12V rear and 12V cargo area power outlet(s)
- Rear parking sensors
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel
- Audio and cruise controls on steering wheel
- Interior air filtration
- Front and rear air conditioning
- Cooled storage compartment
- Cargo area light
- Simulated wood trim on dash
- Simulated wood trim on doors
- Front and rear reading lights
- Leather trim on shift knob
- Leather and simulated alloy steering wheel
- Turn signal in mirrors
- Dual illuminating vanity mirrors
In Car Entertainment
- Mast antenna
- 6 total speakers
- 172 watts stereo output
- AM/FM in-dash single CD player with CD MP3 Playback stereo
- XM satellite radio
- Auxiliary audio input and iPod integration
- 3 Months of provided satellite radio service
- USB connection
- Pre-wired for phone
Engine & Performance
- Base engine size: 3.8 L
- Cam type: Double overhead cam (DOHC)
- Cylinders: V6
- Valves: 24
- Valve timing: Variable
- Torque: 257 ft-lbs. @ 4500 rpm
- Horsepower: 260 hp @ 6000 rpm
- Turning circle: 36.7 ft.
- Base engine type: gas
- Drive type: front wheel drive
- Transmission: 6-speed shiftable automatic
- MacPherson strut front suspension
- Multi-link rear suspension
- Four-wheel independent suspension
- Front and rear stabilizer bar
- Fuel type: gas
- Fuel type: regular unleaded
- Fuel tank capacity: 20.6 gal.
- Range in miles (cty/hwy): 350.2/453.2 mi.
- EPA mileage est. (cty/hwy): 17/22 mpg
- 4-wheel ABS
- Front, rear and third row head airbags
- Dual front side-mounted airbags
- Child seat anchors
- Remote anti-theft alarm system
- Emergency braking assist
- Ventilated front disc / solid rear disc brakes
- Rear door child safety locks
- Front fog/driving lights
- Auto delay off headlamps
- Dusk sensing headlamps
- 2 front headrests
- 3 rear headrests
- Passenger airbag occupant sensing deactivation
- Rear center 3-point belt
- Front seatbelt pretensioners
- Turn signal mirrors
- Stability control
- Traction control
- Electronic brakeforce distribution
- Rear height adjustable headrests
- Passenger head restraint whiplash protection system
- Driver head restraint whiplash protection system
- Tire pressure monitoring
- Premium Package (FWD)
- Basic: 5 yr./ 60000 mi.
- Drivetrain: 10 yr./ 100000 mi.