For the past few years, Hyundai has been redesigning vehicles and rolling out new product like it’s been on a Red Bull bender. Lost in the mix, however, has been the large Azera sedan that time — and seemingly Hyundai — forgot. But for 2012, Hyundai has finally gotten around to sprinkling the Azera with its fairy dust, and the results are quite impressive.
Slotting in just above the already commendable Sonata and below the more expensive Genesis sedan, the 2012 Hyundai Azera is meant to provide a bit more space and luxurious ambience than the typical midsize sedan. Compared to the previous Azera, the 2012 car is about the same size, but its exterior styling and interior design are much more dramatic and appealing. It’s also more expensive than it was before, but with that price increase you get an impressive number of features (leather seating and a navigation system are standard, for instance) and a more powerful, fuel-efficient V6 engine.
On the road, the Azera feels like the large sedan it is, which can be considered praise for its solid poise on the highway as well as a demerit when trying to weave through tight confines. The Hyundai Azera does, however, pull ahead of the competition when it comes to its spacious cabin that has enough room to comfortably seat four tall adults. There’s also ample trunk space for their accompanying luggage.
Body Styles, Trim Levels, and Options
The 2012 Hyundai Azera is classified as a large sedan and is offered in a single, well-appointed trim level. Standard features include 18-inch wheels, automatic headlights, foglights, heated mirrors, leather upholstery, a 10-way adjustable driver seat, an eight-way adjustable front passenger seat, dual-zone automatic climate control, heated front and rear seats, a chilled glovebox, a tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, an auto-dimming rearview mirror, 60/40-split-folding rear seats, a navigation system, BlueLink telematics and a 10-speaker sound system with a CD player, an iPod/USB audio interface and HD radio.
The only Azera option is a Technology package, which adds 19-inch wheels, a panoramic sunroof, xenon headlights, a power rear sunshade, manual side window sunshades, a power-adjustable steering wheel, driver seat memory functions, a driver seat cushion extension, ventilated front seats, rear parking sensors, interior ambient lighting and a premium Infinity 12-speaker sound system.
Powertrains and Performance
Powering the 2012 Hyundai Azera is a 3.3-liter V6 that produces 293 horsepower and 255 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed automatic is the only transmission offered and sends power to the front wheels.
In Edmunds instrumented testing, the Azera accelerated from zero to 60 mph in 6.7 seconds, which is a bit quicker than average for a large sedan. Fuel economy is about average for the segment, at an EPA-estimated 20 mpg city/29 mpg highway and 23 mpg in combined driving.
Standard safety features on the 2012 Hyundai Azera include antilock disc brakes, traction and stability control, front and rear side airbags, full-length side curtain airbags, a driver-side knee airbag and active front head restraints. Hyundai’s BlueLink (which is similar to GM’s OnStar service) also provides SOS assistance and automatic crash notification.
In Edmunds brake testing, the Azera came to a stop from 60 mph in 126 feet, which is average in this class. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety awarded the Azera its highest score of “Good” for the car’s performance in frontal-offset and side-impact crash tests.
Interior Design & Special Features
Both from the outside and within, the 2012 Hyundai Azera can easily be thought of as a well-fed Sonata. The quality of the leather upholstery is nice enough to convince you that you’re in a true luxury sedan, but the abundance of hard plastics will bring you right back to reality. Much of the Azera’s interior design is reminiscent of the more commonplace Sonata, which for some could be a more interesting alternative to more austere luxury cabins.
Styling and materials aside, the Azera is exceptionally roomy. A multitude of driver seat adjustments ensure a comfortable position for any body type and there’s enough head- and legroom to accommodate 6-footers in any seat. The 16.3-cubic-foot trunk is similarly generous, making it one of the largest in its class.
A car fronting “GT” as part of its name often implies there is a sporty orientation, but that’s really not the case for the 2013 Azera. There is no extra engine performance or other performance-oriented equipment, although the GT does have sportier tuning than the Elantra sedan. The Azera does have a unique driving-focused feature: a three-setting function (Normal, Sport and Comfort) for the electric-assist power steering that varies the amount of power assist for the steering. There is a noticeable amount of change in steering effort when going from Comfort to Sport, but overall it’s hardly a game-changing feature.
The 2013 Hyundai Azera accelerates adequately but not altogether energetically. With the automatic transmission, it can also be slow to respond when asked for downshifts. The automatic does offer a manual-shift mode, but it also seems sluggish and doesn’t really do much to improve performance. As with other cars in the Elantra lineup, it’s clear the GT’s performance is oriented toward maximizing fuel economy, which should be ideal for most buyers.
On the positive side, the Azera’s ride is very good. The suspension is quiet and composed over broken pavement and when riding over large bumps and potholes. Most compact cars have busy suspensions with harsh reactions to typical road irregularities, but the Azera rides and handles like a much larger, plusher car.
Hyundai Azera standard Equipment Includes:
- Black Onyx Pearl
- Bronze Mist Metallic
- Hyper Silver Metallic
- Midnight Blue Pearl
- Porcelain White Pearl
- Silver Frost Metallic
- Smoke Gray Metallic
- Venetian Red Pearl
- Camel, leather
- Chestnut Brown, leather
- Graphite Black, leather
- Width: 73.2 in.
- Height: 57.9 in.
- Length: 193.3 in.
- Front track: 63.2 in.
- Rear track: 63.3 in.
- Wheel base: 112.0 in.
- Cargo capacity, all seats in place: 16.3 cu.ft.
Roof and Glass
- Variable intermittent wipers
- Rear defogger
- Wheel Locks
Tires and Wheels
- Painted alloy wheels
- 18 x 7.5 in. wheels
- Steel spare wheel
- P245/45R18 94V tires
- All season tires
- Inside mounted spare tire
- Temporary spare tire
- EPA interior volume: 123.1 cu.ft.
- Gross weight: 4785 lbs.
- Curb weight: 3605 lbs.
[**] When adequately equipped, which may require engine and/or other drivetrain upgrades.
- Front head room: 40.3 in.
- Front hip room: 54.6 in.
- Front leg room: 45.5 in.
- Front shoulder room: 58.3 in.
- Multi-level heating passenger seat
- 8 -way power passenger seat
- 10 -way power driver seat
- Passenger seat with manual adjustable lumbar support
- Multi-level heating driver seat
- Driver seat with power adjustable lumbar support
- Height adjustable driver seat
- Height adjustable passenger seat
- Bucket front seats
- Rear hip Room: 54.2 in.
- Rear head room: 37.6 in.
- Rear leg room: 36.8 in.
- Rear shoulder room: 56.4 in.
- Split-folding rear seatback
- Folding with storage center armrest
- Rear ventilation ducts
- Remote power door locks
- Power mirrors
- Heated mirrors
- 2 one-touch power windows
- iPod Cable
- Carpeted Floor Mats
- Cargo Net
- Cargo Tray
- Option Group 01
- Trip computer
- Low fuel level warning
- Cruise control
- Front console with storage
- Front and rear cupholders
- Front and rear door pockets
- Overhead console with storage
- Remote trunk release
- Front seatback storage
- Speed-proportional power steering
- Universal remote transmitter (for garage door, security system, etc.)
- 12V front and 12V rear power outlet(s)
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel
- Audio and cruise controls on steering wheel
- Rear view camera
- Hands-Free Calling*
- Roadside Assistance*
- Destination guidance (also Turn-by-Turn Navigation)*
- Interior air filtration
- Dual zone climate controls – driver and passenger
- Cooled storage compartment
- Trunk light
- Simulated alloy trim on center console
- Leatherette trim on doors
- Front and rear reading lights
- Leather trim on shift knob
- Leather and simulated alloy steering wheel
- Turn signal in mirrors
- Electrochromatic inside rearview mirror
- Dual illuminating vanity mirrors
In Car Entertainment
- Element antenna
- 7 total speakers
- AM/FM in-dash single CD player with CD MP3 Playback stereo
- Sirius XM satellite radio
- Auxiliary audio input and iPod integration
- 1 subwoofer(s)
- 3 Months of provided satellite radio service
- USB connection
- Flash memory based display w/voice activation and directions navigation system
- Pre-wired for phone
- Bluetooth wireless data link for hands-free phone
- Real time traffic
Engine & Performance
- Base engine size: 3.3 L
- Cam type: Double overhead cam (DOHC)
- Cylinders: V6
- Valves: 24
- Valve timing: Variable
- Direct injection
- Torque: 255 ft-lbs. @ 5200 rpm
- Horsepower: 293 hp @ 6400 rpm
- Turning circle: 36.5 ft.
- Base engine type: gas
- Drive type: front wheel drive
- Transmission: 6-speed shiftable automatic
- MacPherson strut front suspension
- Multi-link rear suspension
- Four-wheel independent suspension
- Front and rear stabilizer bar
- Fuel type: gas
- Fuel type: regular unleaded
- Fuel tank capacity: 18.5 gal.
- Range in miles (cty/hwy): 370.0/536.5 mi.
- EPA mileage est. (cty/hwy): 20/29 mpg
- 4-wheel ABS
- Front and rear head airbags
- Dual front and dual rear side-mounted airbags
- Child seat anchors
- Remote anti-theft alarm system
- Emergency braking assist
- Rear door child safety locks
- Daytime running lights
- Engine immobilizer
- Front fog/driving lights
- Auto delay off headlamps
- Dusk sensing headlamps
- 2 front headrests
- 3 rear headrests
- Passenger airbag occupant sensing deactivation
- Rear center 3-point belt
- Front seatbelt pretensioners
- Turn signal mirrors
- Stability control
- Traction control
- Electronic brakeforce distribution
- Emergency interior trunk release
- Rear height adjustable headrests
- Post-collision safety system
- Tire pressure monitoring
- Emergency Service*
- Airbag Deployment Notification*
- Vehicle Alarm notification*
- Stolen Vehicle Tracking/Assistance*
- Technology Package
- Basic: 5 yr./ 60000 mi.
- Drivetrain: 10 yr./ 100000 mi.